Benjamin Edelman - Academic Publications
[ home | bio | publications | media coverage | invited presentations
[ ben's academic publications page at hbs ]
- Exclusive Preferential Placement as Search Diversion: Evidence from Flight Search and data appendix. With Zhenyu Lai. (April 2013)
- Convergence of Position Auctions under Myopic Best-Response Dynamics. ACM Transactions on Economics and Computation. Forthcoming. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Scott Kominers, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz.
- Antitrust Scrutiny of Google. Journal of Law 2, no. 2 (2012): 445–464.
- Bias in Search Results?: Diagnosis and Response. The Indian Journal of Law and Technology 7 (2011): 16-32.
- Advertising Disclosures: Measuring Labeling Alternatives in Internet Search Engines. With Duncan S. Gilchrist. Information Economics and Policy 24 (2012).
- Optimal Auction Design and Equilibrium Selection in Sponsored Search Auctions. American Economic Review,
100, no. 2 (May 2010). With Michael Schwarz. (first circulated in 2006 as Optimal Auction Design in a Multi-unit Environment:
The Case of Sponsored Search Auctions)
- Competing Ad Auctions: Multi-homing and Participation Costs. With Itai Ashlagi and Hoan Soo Lee. (January 2010)
- CPC/CPA Hybrid Bidding in a Second Price Auction. With Hoan Soo Lee. (December 2008)
- On Best-Response Bidding in GSP Auctions. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz. HBS Working Paper No. 08-056. 2008.
- Strategic Bidder Behavior in Sponsored Search
Auctions. With Michael Ostrovsky. Decision Support Systems, v.43(1), February 2007, pp.192-198.
- Internet Advertising and the Generalized Second
Price Auction: Selling Billions of Dollars Worth of Keywords. With Michael Ostrovsky and Michael Schwarz. American Economic Review, v. 97(1), March 2007, pp.242-259.
- Greedy Bidding Strategies for Keyword Auctions. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce 2007. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz.
Electronic Commerce & Online Advertising
- Information and Incentives in Online Affiliate Marketing. With Wesley Brandi. (October 2013)
- The Design of Online Advertising Marketplaces. Handbook of Market Design. (October 2013.)
- Guidance from ARIN on Legal Aspects of the Transfer of Internet Protocol Numbers. With Stephen Ryan. ABA Business Law Today. (May 2013.)
- Using Internet Data for Economic Research. Journal of Economic Perspectives 26, no. 2 (spring 2012): 189-206.
- Internet Protocol Numbers and the American Registry for Internet Numbers: Suggested Guidance for Bankruptcy Trustees, Debtors-in-Possession, and Receivers. With Stephen Ryan and Matthew Martel. BNA's Bankruptcy Law Reporter. (January 2012)
- Pricing and Efficiency in the Market for IP Addresses. With Michael Schwarz. (First posted in September 2011)
- Earnings and Ratings at Google Answers. Economic Inquiry, April 2012: 309-320. (Draft as first circulated in 2004.)
- To Groupon or Not to Groupon: The Profitability of Deep Discounts and To Groupon or Not To Groupon: New Research on Voucher Profitability (with Sonia Jaffe and Scott Kominers). December 2010 - January 2011.
- The Pathologies of Online Display Advertising Marketplaces. ACM Sigecom Exchanges. 2010.
- Measuring the Perpetrators and Funders of Typosquatting, introduction, and web appendix. With Tyler Moore. Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Financial Cryptography and Data Security. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 6052. (2010.)
- Who Owns Metrics?: Building a Bill of Rights for Online Advertisers. Journal of Advertising Research 49, no. 4 (December 2009).
- How to Combat Online Ad Fraud. Harvard Business Review 87, no. 11 (November 2009): 24-25.
- The Dark Underbelly of Online Advertising. HBR Voices / HBR Now. November 2009.
- Priced and Unpriced Online Markets. Journal of Economic Perspectives 23, no. 3 (summer 2009): 21-36.
- Red Light States: Who Buys Online Adult Entertainment?. Journal of Economic Perspectives 23, no. 1 (winter 2009): 209-220.
- Running Out of Numbers: Scarcity of IP Addresses and What to Do About It. Proceedings of the First Conference on Auctions, Market Mechanisms and Their Applications. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering. 2009. (First circulated in 2008 as Running Out of Numbers? The Impending Scarcity of IP Addresses and What To Do About It.)
- Deterring Online Advertising Fraud Through Optimal Payment in Arrears. Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Conference on Financial Cryptography and Data Security. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science. September 2009.
- The Effect of Editorial Discretion Book Promotion on Sales at Amazon.com
- Introduction & Table of Contents; body available upon request. 2001-2002. (summa cum laude)
Online Safety, Reputation, and Responsibility
- Mobilizing an Online Business and TN. Harvard Business School Case 913061. With Peter Coles. 2013. request courtesy copy
- SaferTaxi: Connecting Taxis and Passengers in South America and TN. Harvard Business School Case 913041. With Peter Coles. 2013. request courtesy copy
- Pricing and Partnership at Zillow, Inc. Harvard Business School Case 913021. With Peter Coles. 2012. request courtesy copy
- Attack of the Clones: Birchbox Defends Against Copycat Competitors. Harvard Business School Cases 912010. With Peter Coles. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Airbnb (A), (B), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 912019 and -20. With Michael Luca. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Mobilizing Networked Businesses. Harvard Business School Module Note 911048. With Peter Coles. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Online Marketing at Big Skinny, TN, and slide supplements. Harvard Business School Case 911033. With Scott Kominers. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Google, Inc., Google Inc. (Abridged), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 910036, and -32. 2010.
- Akamai, Inc. Harvard Business School Case 804158. With Thomas Eisenmann and Eric Van den Steen. 2010. request courtesy copy
- iPhone at IVK (TN). Harvard Business School Teaching Note 911414. 2010.
- Personal Rapid Transport at Vectus, Inc. and TN. 2009. Also available as Harvard Business School Case 910010. courtesy copy
- eBay Partner Network (A), (B), (C), TN, and slide supplement. Harvard Business School Cases 910008, -09, and -12. With Ian Larkin. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Symbian, Google & Apple in the Mobile Space (A), (B), and TN. Harvard Business School Case 909055. With Fernando Suarez and Arati Srinivasan. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Windows Vista. Harvard Business School Case 909038. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Online Restaurant Promotions and TN. Harvard Business School Case 909034. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Ad Classification at Right Media, TN, and slide supplements. Harvard Business School Case 909032. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Distribution at American Airlines (A), (B), (C), (D), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 909035, -36, 913034, and -35. 2009 and 2013. courtesy copy (A) , request courtesy copy (c)
- Consumer Payment Systems - United States, Consumer Payment Systems - Japan, and TN. Harvard Business School Case 909006 and -07. With Andrei Hagiu. 2008-2009. request courtesy copy (US), (Japan)
- Opening Dot EU (A) and (B). Harvard Business School Cases 908052 and -53. 2008. request courtesy copy
- Microsoft adCenter and TN.
Harvard Business School Case 908049. With Peter Coles. 2008. request courtesy copy
- TheLadders (A) , (B), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 908061 and 914017. With Peter Coles, Brian Hall, and Nicole Bennett. 2008, 2013. request courtesy copy
Additional Academic Publications