Benjamin Edelman - Academic Publications
[ home | bio | publications | media coverage | invited presentations
[ ben's academic publications page at hbs ]
- Exclusive Preferential Placement as Search Diversion: Evidence from Flight Search and data appendix. With Zhenyu Lai. (April 2013)
- Convergence of Position Auctions under Myopic Best-Response Dynamics. ACM Transactions on Economics and Computation. Forthcoming. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Scott Kominers, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz.
- Antitrust Scrutiny of Google. Journal of Law 2, no. 2 (2012): 445–464.
- Bias in Search Results?: Diagnosis and Response. The Indian Journal of Law and Technology 7 (2011): 16-32.
- Advertising Disclosures: Measuring Labeling Alternatives in Internet Search Engines. With Duncan S. Gilchrist. Information Economics and Policy 24 (2012).
- Optimal Auction Design and Equilibrium Selection in Sponsored Search Auctions. American Economic Review,
100, no. 2 (May 2010). With Michael Schwarz. (first circulated in 2006 as Optimal Auction Design in a Multi-unit Environment:
The Case of Sponsored Search Auctions)
- Competing Ad Auctions: Multi-homing and Participation Costs. With Itai Ashlagi and Hoan Soo Lee. (January 2010)
- CPC/CPA Hybrid Bidding in a Second Price Auction. With Hoan Soo Lee. (December 2008)
- On Best-Response Bidding in GSP Auctions. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz. HBS Working Paper No. 08-056. 2008.
- Strategic Bidder Behavior in Sponsored Search
Auctions. With Michael Ostrovsky. Decision Support Systems, v.43(1), February 2007, pp.192-198.
- Internet Advertising and the Generalized Second
Price Auction: Selling Billions of Dollars Worth of Keywords. With Michael Ostrovsky and Michael Schwarz. American Economic Review, v. 97(1), March 2007, pp.242-259.
- Greedy Bidding Strategies for Keyword Auctions. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce 2007. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz.
Electronic Commerce & Online Advertising
- Using Internet Data for Economic Research. Journal of Economic Perspectives 26, no. 2 (spring 2012): 189-206.
- Internet Protocol Numbers and the American Registry for Internet Numbers: Suggested Guidance for Bankruptcy Trustees, Debtors-in-Possession, and Receivers. With Steven Ryan and Matthew Martel. BNA's Bankruptcy Law Reporter. (2012)
- Pricing and Efficiency in the Market for IP Addresses. With Michael Schwarz. (September 2011)
- Earnings and Ratings at Google Answers. Economic Inquiry, April 2012: 309-320. (Draft as first circulated in 2004.)
- To Groupon or Not to Groupon: The Profitability of Deep Discounts and To Groupon or Not To Groupon: New Research on Voucher Profitability (with Sonia Jaffe and Scott Kominers). December 2010 - January 2011.
- The Design of Online Advertising Marketplaces. Handbook of Market Design. (Forthcoming.)
- The Pathologies of Online Display Advertising Marketplaces. ACM Sigecom Exchanges. 2010.
- Measuring the Perpetrators and Funders of Typosquatting, introduction, and web appendix. With Tyler Moore. Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Financial Cryptography and Data Security. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 6052. (2010.)
- Who Owns Metrics?: Building a Bill of Rights for Online Advertisers. Journal of Advertising Research 49, no. 4 (December 2009).
- How to Combat Online Ad Fraud. Harvard Business Review 87, no. 11 (November 2009): 24-25.
- The Dark Underbelly of Online Advertising. HBR Voices / HBR Now. November 2009.
- Priced and Unpriced Online Markets. Journal of Economic Perspectives 23, no. 3 (summer 2009): 21-36.
- Red Light States: Who Buys Online Adult Entertainment?. Journal of Economic Perspectives 23, no. 1 (winter 2009): 209-220.
- Running Out of Numbers: Scarcity of IP Addresses and What to Do About It. Proceedings of the First Conference on Auctions, Market Mechanisms and Their Applications. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering. 2009. (First circulated in 2008 as Running Out of Numbers? The Impending Scarcity of IP Addresses and What To Do About It.)
- Deterring Online Advertising Fraud Through Optimal Payment in Arrears. Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Conference on Financial Cryptography and Data Security. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science. September 2009.
- The Effect of Editorial Discretion Book Promotion on Sales at Amazon.com
- Introduction & Table of Contents; body available upon request. 2001-2002. (summa cum laude)
Online Safety, Reputation, and Responsibility
- Pricing and Partnership at Zillow, Inc. Harvard Business School Case 913-021. With Peter Coles. 2012.
- Attack of the Clones: Birchbox Defends Against Copycat Competitors. Harvard Business School Case 912-010. With Peter Coles. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Airbnb (A), (B), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 912-019 and -020. With Michael Luca. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Mobilizing Networked Businesses. Harvard Business School Module Note 911-048. With Peter Coles. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Online Marketing at Big Skinny, TN, and slide supplements. Harvard Business School Case 911-033. With Scott Kominers. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Google, Inc., Google Inc. (Abridged), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 910-036, -032 , and -050. 2010.
- Akamai, Inc. Harvard Business School Case 804-158. With Thomas Eisenmann and Eric Van den Steen. 2010. request courtesy copy
- iPhone at IVK (TN). Harvard Business School Teaching Note 911-414. 2010.
- Personal Rapid Transport at Vectus, Inc. and TN. 2009. Also available as Harvard Business School Case 910-010. courtesy copy
- eBay Partner Network (A), (B), (C), TN, and slide supplement. Harvard Business School Cases 910-008, 910-009, and 910-012. With Ian Larkin. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Symbian, Google & Apple in the Mobile Space (A), (B), and TN. Harvard Business School Case 909-055. With Fernando Suarez and Arati Srinivasan. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Windows Vista. Harvard Business School Case 909-038. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Online Restaurant Promotions and TN. Harvard Business School Case 909-034. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Ad Classification at Right Media, TN, and slide supplements. Harvard Business School Case 909-032. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Distribution at American Airlines (A), (B), (C), (D), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 909-035 and 909-036. 2009. courtesy copy (A) , request courtesy copy (c)
- Consumer Payment Systems - United States, Consumer Payment Systems - Japan, and TN. Harvard Business School Case 909-006 and 909-007. With Andrei Hagiu. 2008-2009. request courtesy copy (US), (Japan)
- Opening Dot EU (A) and (B). Harvard Business School Cases 908-052 and 908-053. 2008. request courtesy copy
- Microsoft adCenter and TN.
Harvard Business School Case 908-049. With Peter Coles. 2008. request courtesy copy
- TheLadders and TN. Harvard Business School Case 908-061. With Peter Coles, Brian Hall, and Nicole Bennett. 2008. request courtesy copy
Additional Academic Publications