Benjamin Edelman - Selected Publications
[ home | bio | publications
| media coverage | invited presentations
[ academic publications ]
Academic publications - see separate listing
Online Advertising and Search
- Exclusive Preferential Placement as Search Diversion: Evidence from Flight Search and data appendix. With Zhenyu Lai. (April 2013)
- IAC Toolbars and Traffic Arbitrage in 2013. (January 2013)
- The Right Remedies for Google's AdWords API Restrictions. (January 2013)
- Twenty Oft-Found Commission Junction and LinkShare Affiliate Violations. With Wesley Brandi. (December 2012)
- Flash-Based Cookie-Stuffer Using Google AdSense to Claim Unearned Affiliate Commissions from Amazon. With Wesley Brandi. (May 2012)
- Search my Logs of Affiliate Fraud and Affiliate Fraud Information Lookup. With Wesley Brandi. (March 2012)
- Hack-Based Cookie-Stuffing by Bannertracker-Script. With Wesley Brandi. (February 2012)
- Large-Scale Cookie-Stuffing at Eshop600.co.uk. With Wesley Brandi. (January 2012)
- Advertising Disclosures in Online Apartment Search. With Paul Kominers. (January 2012)
- Google Tying Google Plus and Many More. (January 2012)
Bias in Search Results?: Diagnosis and Response. The Indian Journal of Law and Technology 7 (2011): 16-32.
- Google's Dominance - And What To Do About It and Finding and Preventing Biased Results. American Constitutional Society for Law and Policy - Blog. (October 2011) Reprinted as Antitrust Scrutiny of Google. Journal of Law 2, no. 2 (2012): 445–464.
- Advertisers' Missing Perspective in the Google Antitrust Hearing. (September 2011)
- Implications of Google's Pharmacy Debacle. (August 2011) Republished at Betanews as DOJ Pharmacy Investigation Undermines Google Credibility.
- Revisiting Unlawful Advertisements at Google (May 2011). Excerpted at Huffington Post as Unlawful Advertisements Very Familiar to Google.
- Remedies for Search Bias. (February 2011)
- In Accusing Microsoft, Google Doth Protest Too Much. HBR Blogs. (February 2011)
- Measuring Bias in "Organic" Web Search. With Benjamin Lockwood. (January 2011)
- Online Marketing at Big Skinny, TN, and slide supplements. Harvard Business School Case 911-033. With Scott Kominers. 2011. request courtesy copy
- Advertisers Should Raise Their Voices Against Arrogant Google. mUmBRELLA. (November 2010)
- Knowing Certain Trademark Ads Were Confusing, Google Sold Them Anyway -- for $100+ Million. (November 2010)
- Hard-Coding Bias in Google "Algorithmic" Search Results. (November 2010)
- A Closer Look at Google's Advertisement Labels. (November 2010)
- Advertising Disclosures: Measuring Labeling Alternatives in Internet Search Engines. With Duncan S. Gilchrist. Information Economics and Policy 24 (2012).)
- Tying Google Affiliate Network. (September 2010)
- Facebook Leaks Usernames, User IDs, and Personal Details to Advertisers. (May 2010)
- Sony's Crackle: Invisible Traffic Galore. (April 2010)
- eBay Partner Network (A), (B), (C), TN, and slide supplement. Harvard Business School Cases 910-008, 910-009, and 910-012. With Ian Larkin. 2009. request courtesy copy
- Ad Classification at Right Media, TN, and slide supplements. Harvard Business School Case 909-032. 2009. request courtesy copy
- How to Combat Online Ad Fraud. Harvard Business Review 87, no. 11 (November 2009): 24-25.
- Towards a Bill of Rights for Online Advertisers. (September 2009) (Reprinted with revision as "Who Owns Metrics?: Building a Bill of Rights for Online Advertisers." Journal of Advertising Research (forthcoming). Excerpted in Advertising Week Welcome Guide. Excerpted on Huffington Post.)
- How Google and Its Partners Inflate Measured Conversion Rates and Increase Advertisers' Costs. (May 2009)
- Fraud in Online Advertising. The Business Standard (India). (April 2009)
- In Support of Utah's HB450. (March 2009)
- False and Deceptive Display Ads at Yahoo's Right Media. (January 2009)
- CPC/CPA Hybrid Bidding in a Second Price Auction. (December 2008)
- PPC Platform Competition and Google's "May Not Copy" Restriction. (June 2008)
- Optimal Deterrence when Judgment-Proof Agents Are Paid In Arrears - With an Application to Online Advertising Fraud and Delaying Payment to Deter Online Advertising Fraud. (February-March 2008)
- Google, Inc., Google Inc. (Abridged), and TN. Harvard Business School Cases 910-036, -032 , and -050. 2010.
- Microsoft adCenter. Harvard Business School Case 908-049. With Peter Coles. 2008. request courtesy copy
- On Best-Response Bidding in GSP Auctions. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz. HBS Working Paper No. 08-056. 2008.
- Optimal Auction Design in a Multi-unit Environment: The Case of Sponsored Search Auctions. With Michael Schwarz. (December 2006)
- False and Deceptive Pay-Per-Click Ads. (October 2006)
- Strategic Bidder Behavior in Sponsored Search Auctions. With Michael Ostrovsky. Decision Support Systems, v.43(1), February 2007, pp.192-198.
- Internet Advertising and the Generalized Second Price Auction: Selling Billions of Dollars Worth of Keywords. With Michael Ostrovsky and Michael Schwarz. American Economic Review, v. 97(1), March 2007, pp.242-259.
- Greedy Bidding Strategies for Keyword Auctions. Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce 2007. With Matthew Cary, Aparna Das, Ioannis Giotis, Kurtis Heimerl, Anna Karlin, Claire Mathieu, and Michael Schwarz.
- Cookie Stuffing Targeting Major Affiliate Merchants. November 2004.
Electronic Commerce and Consumer Protection
Spyware: Research, Testing, Legislation, and Suits
(spyware index site). (June 2002 - present)
Revenue Sources & Funding
Miscellaneous - Consumer Education, Legislation,
Litigation, Privacy, Mixed Topics, etc.
- Upromise Savings -- At What Cost? (January 2010)
- Securing Online Advertising: Rustlers and Sheriffs in the New Wild West. (In Beautiful Security, edited by John Viega.) (September 2008)
- Spyware and Adware. Written testimony submitted to the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation Hearing on Impact and Policy Implications of Spyware on Consumers and Businesses. (June 2008.)
- Debunking Zango's "Content Economy." (May 2008)
- Critiquing C-NetMedia's Anti-Spyware Offerings and Advertising Practices. (February 2008)
- A Closer Look at Coupons.com (August 2007) and Coupons.com and TRUSTe: Lots of Talk, Too Little Action (March 2008).
- Cookies Detected by Anti-Spyware Programs: The Current Status. (September 2006)
- People of the State of New York v. Direct Revenue, LLC. (April 2006)
- Deciding Who To Trust. (December
- Cleaning Up Sony's Rootkit Mess.
Should Small and Medium-Sized Businesses Be Concerned about Spyware?
- Debunking ShopAtHomeSelect. (August
- Netscape 8's "Trust Rating" System.
- Threats Against Spyware Detectors, Removers,
and Critics. (March 2005)
- What Hope for Federal Anti-Spyware Legislation?
- 180 Talks a
Big Talk, but Doesn't Deliver. (January 2005)
- California's Toothless Spyware Law. (September 2004)
- WhenU Copies 26+ Articles from 20+ News
Sites. (May 2004)
- WhenU Security Hole Allows Execution
of Arbitrary Software. (June 2004)
- WhenU Spams Google, Breaks Google "No
Cloaking" Rules. (May 2004)
- Expert Declaration in WhenU v. Utah. (May 2004)
and Effects of Spyware - FTC Comments. (March 2004)
- A Close Reading of Utah's Spyware Control
Act. (February 2004)
- Expert Declarations
in Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive Company, LLC, et al. v. the Gator
Corporation. (June 2002)
Domain Names, ICANN, and Internet Infrastructure
- Internet Protocol Numbers and the American Registry for Internet Numbers: Suggested Guidance for Bankruptcy Trustees, Debtors-in-Possession, and Receivers. With Steven Ryan and Matthew Martel. BNA's Bankruptcy Law Reporter. (2012)
- Pricing and Efficiency in the Market for IP Addresses. With Michael Schwarz. (September 2011)
- Measuring the Perpetrators and Funders of Typosquatting, introduction, and web appendix. With Typer Moore. Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Financial Cryptography and Data Security. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Priced and Unpriced Online Markets. Journal of Economic Perspectives 23, no. 3 (summer 2009): 21-36.
- Running Out of Numbers: Scarcity of IP Addresses and What to Do About It. Proceedings of the First Conference on Auctions, Market Mechanisms and Their Applications. Springer-Verlag's Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering. (2009.)
- Running Out of Numbers? The Impending Scarcity of IP Addresses and What To Do About It. (June 2008.)
- Unintended Adventures in Browsing. McAfee Security Journal. (Fall 2008.)
- Opening Dot EU (A) and (B). Harvard Business School Cases N9-908-052 and N9-908-053. (2008.) request courtesy copy
Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content: A Case Study of "Tina's
Free Live Webcam". (March - April 2002.)
Intentional Invalid WHOIS Data: A Case Study of "NicGod Productions"/"Domains
For Sale". (April - May 2002.)
Perspectives on Registrar Market Share: The Fortune 1000, the Forbes International
500, and the Yahoo Directory - Revisited (2003 Update). (November
Perspectives on Registrar Market Share: The Fortune 1000, the Forbes International
500, and the Yahoo Directory. (May 2002)
- Technical Responses
to Unilateral Internet Authority: The Deployment of VeriSign "Site Finder"
and ISP Response. (October 2003) With Jonathan Zittrain.
- Survey of Usage of the
.BIZ TLD. (June 2002) With Jonathan Zittrain.
Registrations Not Conforming to .NAME Registration Restrictions. (May
Registration of Domains with Typographical Errors. (January 2003)
with UDRP Decisions: A Case Study of Joker.com. (June 2003)
- Survey of
Usage of the .US TLD. (August - September 2002)
in Open ccTLDs. (June - July 2002)
as a Search Engine: A Quantitative Evaluation. (June - July 2002)
of Domain Registration Services. (August - November 2003)
Invalid Whois Data. Written testimony submitted to the US House of Representatives
Committee on the Judiciary Subcommittee
on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property Oversight
Hearing on Internet Domain Fraud & US Government's Role in Ensuring Public
Access to Accurate Whois Data. (September 2003)
- A Case
Study of Disputed Registrations in .BIZ. (May 2002)
of Registrations in the ARNI .BIZ Top-Level Domain and Analysis
of Registrations in the IOD .WEB Top-Level Domain. (June 2001)
- ICANN Substantive Analysis and Conference Briefing Books: IFWP
Consensus Summary and Working Drafts Comparison (July - November 1998),
Summaries of Formative Documents (July 1999), ICANN
and the Public Interest: Pressing Issues (November 1999), Pressing
Issues II: Understanding and Critiquing ICANN's Policy Agenda (November
2000) (co-author and co-editor).
- TLD Registration
Enforcement: A Call for Automation - Part I and Part
II. CircleID. (September - October
- Invalid WHOIS Data:
Who Is Responsible? CircleID.
- Domain Name Typosquatter
Still Generating Millions. CircleID.
- Jurisdiction over
Domain Names: Too Much Law Or Too Little? CircleID.
- Quantifying Traffic
to VeriSign SiteFinder. CircleID.
Perspective on Registrar Market Share: Measuring Market Share of Corporate
Digital Brand Management Services - Digital Branding Bulletin. (December
Registrations: Why They're Still Needed, and How to Make Them Earn Their Keep.
Verisign Digital Brand
Management Services - Digital Branding Bulletin. (December 2002)
- Experimental Cross-Registrar
WHOIS Client. (July 1999, obsolete)
Filtering the Internet
Retransmission and Geographic Restrictions
Transportation and Personal Rapid Transport
Testimony transcripts and additional publications are available upon request. A symbol marks academic publications. marks documents written for or about, or used in, litigation.